Pot Holes shock Cones, 8-6.
The Season of Misery had a bright spot
for the navy Pot Holes, as on the final week of the regular season,
the last place team picked up a rare win.
Perhaps the Cones were more concerned with what was going on in the
south rink, as they needed the yellow Speed Bumps to lose if they
were going to steal first place.
Players from the Cones kept sneaking through the lobby to check the
score, but this was a distraction that kept them from taking care of
their own business at hand.
After Gavin Danaher scored just 30 seconds in, he was seen running
right over to the south rink.
The lowly Pot Holes countered with goals by Marc Teal and Joe Smith,
and all of a sudden it was 2-1 bad guys.
Three straight goals by the Holes, Bratt, Smitth, and Onello, and
this was turning into a rout at 5-1.
Cones alternate captain Rick Armand tried to rally his team.
"Keep it up guys, if we lose, we don't have to play them in the
playoffs," said the red skipper.
Don Fortini and Todd Nichols each scored to cut the lead to 5-3, and
when C player Jeff Whittemore scored to cut the lead to 5-4 in the
third, Armand had to take drastic measures.
"Okay, Jimmy D., get out there, we need to stop this rally," yelled
But after a Bob Powell goal, Jimmy D. would score, and the plan was
unraveling. Luckily Mike Saia stepped up and scored two late goals
to seal the game for the Holes.
"That was close," said Armand. "Now we have the first round matchup
The red Cones will take on the teal Road Kill team while the navy
Holes will skate against the first place gold Speed Bumps.
"I'm not sure if I want to win it all with this team or not," said
Marc Teal. "It's been such a bad season, and I really don't like
anybody. I'd hate to be in a championship photo with some of these
Hockeytown B; 22-Nov-2013 06:00 AM; 2013 Regular; BBHC
Pot Holes (BBHC) 8 vs Cones (BBHC) 6
1. Cones, Danaher, Gavin (Albano, Paul / Kerrigan, Ted) 00:30
2. Pot Holes, Teal, Marc (Hanson, Trevor) 05:10
3. Pot Holes, Smith, Joe (Steeves, Russ) 12:50
Penalties - Bench - Cones (Too Many Men-Bench Minor) 08:05
4. Pot Holes, Bratt, Eric (Unassisted) 04:38
5. Pot Holes, Smith, Joe (Raimo, Mike) 06:22 (pp)
6. Pot Holes, Onello, Tony (Steeves, Russ / Deskin, Pat) 10:29
7. Cones, Fortini, Don (Unassisted) 14:30
8. Cones, Nichols, Todd (Unassisted) 14:50
Penalties - DiGregorio, Jim - Cones (Hooking-Minor) 06:15
9. Cones, Whittemore, Jeff (Kerrigan, Ted / Armand, Rick) 07:36
10. Pot Holes, Powell, Bob (Onello, Tony / Deskin, Pat) 09:55
11. Cones, DiGregorio, Jim (Wood, Mark / Armand, Rick) 12:54
12. Pot Holes, Saia, Mike (Smith, Joe / Santanello, Dan) 14:59 (gw)
13. Cones, Armand, Rick (Kerrigan, Ted) 18:36
14. Pot Holes, Saia, Mike (Unassisted) 18:56 (en)
Penalties - Danaher, Gavin - Cones (Hooking-Minor) 05:00
Goal - Pot Holes: Desimone, Bill; Cones: Graham, Rollie
Power plays - Pot Holes: 1-for-3; Cones: 0-for-0
Officials: Vin, Jason